Monday, May 20, 2013

Enlisting help, Keuka tri, and the first long bike ride of the year

I've got quite a bit of ground to cover in this post, so bear with my ramblings... The Keuka Lake tri is coming up quick, I'm now working with a Ironman coach and I crushed my first long bike ride of the year (though the sunburn on my back says otherwise.

Keuka rapidly approaching

I'm now **gulp** 13 days out from the Keuka Lake triathlon and **bigger gulp** 55 days out from Musselman. In addition I'm going to sign up Friday for the Quakerman olympic triathlon June 16 and the Wine Glass full marathon Oct. 6. I'll also sign up for Highlander Cycle Tour Sept. 7 at some point.

I'm so nervous for Keuka! I'm already having nightmares about forgetting my equipment, finishing last and blowing out a tire. Here's why:

  • I've never swum in open water! I don't know if I'll have the right equipment. I have the sleeveless wetsuit, but I don't know if I'll need the neoprene cap and sleeves! 
  • I don't feel like I've practiced swimming in the wetsuit and my bike/run transitions enough. I'll get on it but I'm running out of time!
  • Did I mention I'm terrified of open water? 

Setting my fears aside, it will be a fun trip! I'm staying in the dorms at Keuka College, found the dogs a trusty dog sitter in Greece with a huge lawn, and might make a side trip to Bully Hill winery. Because wine makes everything better. I also just put an inquiry out about staying in the dorms for Musselman!

Enlisting help

A couple weeks ago I was struggling with my training and decided to reach out for a bit of help.


I was doing the best I could with the Beginner Triathlete schedule, but realized I needed a little bit more.

Yesterday I met with Mary Eggers, an experienced Ironman coach. (I was following her tweets Saturday as one of her athletes finished second in Ironman Texas: Awesome.)

She's going to help me come up with a training schedule that works for me, help me with some of my weak points and give me some open water pointers. She's going to have me focus on heart rate training, something I've known the merits of but neglected. I'm excited to have the help, been feeling pretty lost lately.

50 miles on the bike 

I did my first super long bike ride of the season Saturday. I felt strong during, but exhausted after.

At this point, I have all the pieces to the half, the long swim, bike and run, so it's a matter of putting them all together. Each one on its own kills me, I was too exhausted to clean my apartment Sunday (or I at least needed an excuse not to clean said apartment.)

Mary gave me an excellent course that started at Mendon Ponds Park, went down through Henrietta then through Livingston and Ontario counties.


I saw lots of other cyclists, a few runners, some pretty scenery and a fun church sign.

Soon it's going to be time to get another Garmin, as I'm straining the batteries of the iPhone! (The droid wasn't up to the task in the first place!) The next goal, either this week or next, is 80 miles, where I'll do the same route but go from home.

The hills were rough but doable. I stayed in the big ring for most of them, shifting down just a couple times. I did the ride in 3:32. My goal is 56 in 3:30, so I'm getting there. 

I did the whole thing in a tank top, a little chilly at times so I wasn't thinking about that big yellow thing (I like you, big yellow thing) beating down on me. As a result my skin has taken on a slight lobster tone. 

I circled the parking lot until the app said 50 miles, because I'm anal retentive like that. But then the computer took it out another decimal point, prompting my Facebook friends to poke fun at my obsession with round numbers (Bill and Brandie I miss you dearly.) 


I'm on the fence on whether I want to get Flower a new saddle. At this point I don't know if it's her saddle or me needing to toughen up. I survived the ride, but sitting on a bar stool that evening was slightly uncomfortable.

So there's my book for the morning. 

ADDENDUM!

How could I forget? The Chase Corporate Challenge is tomorrow, a 3.5 mile run. I'm doing it with my coworkers. Excited!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment