Monday, October 14, 2013

The excitement and challenges that lay ahead

Exciting news: I have accepted a job as a reporter with Capital New York, and am beginning the process of relocating to Albany.

The job offer happened so quick, amid an already crazy week, so it has just been in the past few days that I've been able to catch my breath and start to get really excited.

Capital New York is a startup project run by Politico, a publication that I've always admired and sought to work for. It's growing, it's profitable, and I agree with the direction the company is going in. 

After my layoff, I had my hesitations about staying in journalism. But there's one area of journalism that is staying strong: Publications with a niche audience. Politico has mastered the business model, one that is a hybrid model of free and paid content. The bigger stories are free, but the more specialized stories that you can only get from us are behind a pay wall.

My new colleagues are some of the best in the business, and I'm considering it an honor to have my byline next to theirs. 

I'll be covering campaign finance, ethics reforms and lobbying, all issues I am passionate about.

But it does mean another move. Another stop on Jessica's east coast and Midwest road show. And that was the hard part about taking this job.

Purple: College. Blue: Professional life. Yellow: Albany.
I've been in Rochester for just over a year, and I've really felt at home here. After spending the past few days hanging out in some of my favorite places with some of my favorite people, I'm sad to be leaving.

The city works for me. My neighborhood, Corn Hill, is a great place to own dogs. It's safe, walkable and the neighbors are always so friendly.

My favorite haunt is five minutes away in the South Wedge, Boulder Coffee House. By day it's a good place to take the laptop and get work done. By night there's an open mic night every Wednesday and in general great performances and a great atmosphere.

Then there's the Downtown Fitness Club. I joined for the pool a year ago, but found a home there. The people are so friendly. They remember your name when you come in. Members are supportive. I started teaching there in April and just adore all the hardworking people in my classes.

My favorite running route starts at the DFC, goes down Park Avenue then back on East. They are two very active streets with lots of joggers and activity, and very scenic. Yesterday was perfect, with Amanda M. entertaining me via text, and I did it twice, nine miles in all.

Park Avenue, from my jog Saturday.
Rochester is a good size, affordable, with great people. It was easy to make friends here, and I will miss them.

* * *

There's a certain excitement, though, that comes with moving.

All my furniture is staying in Rochester. Time for some new stuff. Maybe my next apartment will let me hang stuff on the walls. I'm close enough to New York City where I can go to Ikea.

It's time for new clothes. Once I'm settled I can slowly start building a new wardrobe.

This time I can do the move slowly. As much as I love Corn Hill, I think I would have been happiest in the South Wedge. A slower move will let me take my time and pick out which neighborhood is right.

I like the idea of living in Center Square, where I can walk to work. Amtrak tickets to Rochester and Cleveland are cheap, so I might consider trading in the Fit for something older and cheaper that can be insured for liability.

There are lots of positives to this.

1 comment: