Friday, February 8, 2013

Race report: YMCA Indoor Triathlon Feb. 3


I’m a triathlete!

Well, I’m still in training, and I’m sure that Sunday’s indoor triathlon will seem like nothing after I've battled open water swims, people kicking in my face, messy transitions and hills.

But I’ll revel in my glory until then.

Sunday was the indoor tri at the Y. Hopefully there will be some good pictures up soon, they took so many!
Results are here. You covered as much distance as you could in 15 minutes. I did 12.5 laps in the pool, 4.5 minutes on the spin bike and 1.7 miles on the track.

I feel like I killed it on the swim and run. I feel like I kind of got shafted on the bike – the resistance was pre-set and I felt like mine was really high, I couldn't get above 80 RPMs, where the person next to me was flying. It’s nearly impossible to level the playing field on those bikes so when they send out the survey I’m going to suggest that they just let people set their own resistance next year and trust they’ll put on enough so they don’t blow out their knees.

I thought the five minute transitions would be ridiculously long but they went by way too quick!
So, the blow by blow (as best as I can remember several days later).

SWIM

I got to the pool and drew the short straw on the swim, I was smack in the middle of the pool. But all was good. I managed one warmup lap – I would have liked more but what can you do – and was off for 15 minutes.

The water was ungodly warm. It felt great at first but after the first few laps I wished it was cooler. I think it was the water temps, the DFC pool is colder, but I was struggling with my breathing.

The guy counting my laps was great, very encouraging, wouldn’t let me pause when I turned around.

I didn't think I was doing so well. I felt slow and sluggish, felt like I was taking too long in between laps. My shoulders were killing me and I was already out of breath. Then with 6ish minutes left the guy tells me I had 8 laps down. More than I thought, I wasn't counting. I picked it up and ended up with 12.5. Way better than I thought.

Then silly me forgot a towel. I threw on my bike shorts over my wet bathing suit and rushed to the spin room, almost getting lost in the locker room on the way.

BIKE

I had chatted it up with a woman who turned out to be a spin instructor, and she directed me to her section of bikes. This turned out to be a mistake.

I started pedaling, and had trouble accelerating. The resistance was way up. The people next to me were flying. Discouraging, but I kept going.

The guy managing the spin room was great. Very encouraging and helped pass the time. I pushed hard, and ended up with 4.5 miles.

He pushed us through the last three minutes, and I pushed hard, I was on the brink of 4.5 miles and wanted to get there. I picked it up as much as I could and got there. I felt dizzy as I got up. No time for that, time to run!

RUN

I got up to the track and had 2 minutes to sit down. I bought a super-cute running skirt in a black Friday sale, I put that on with a pink tank, pink calf sleeves and my running shoes, and barely made it to the track before the whistle.

This was my strong suit, but I was exhausted. Legs felt like jello the first few minutes, but slowly I found my legs.

I felt like I was slowly getting faster and by the end I was kicking it, despite feeling cramped up and dizzy.


I didn’t think this tri would exhaust me this much, but I was beat!

I still have a ways to go before Musselman. 

Hello, foam roller...

No comments:

Post a Comment