Friday, July 6, 2012

Jessica's lack-of-power struggle, Sunday


NOTE: This harrowing tale was originally recorded using the ancient methods of a pencil and paper. It was transcribed Monday night in a format easily readable by others (because no one can read my handwriting) and set to autopost throughout the week.

Translation: Jessica was unable to watch “My Name is Earl” reruns on Netflix after a nasty windstorm knocked out power for several days, so she continued to blog on paper. She watches too many apocalyptic movies, so the second she has access to Netflix you will find her motionless on the couch rewatching “The Stand”, because that’s what she’s been comparing her experiences to all weekend (even though they didn’t have smart phones or iPods). Oh, and also the #Anniesmove episode of Community.


PART 4

Sunday's paper.
Sunday, 1ish: This situation sucks. No getting around it. It’s not funny anymore. The “te-he time to live like the Amish” jokes are old.

I didn’t feel truly stressed about all this until I turned into the Newark Meijer today.

There were long lines waiting for the gas pumps. Inside, people wandered aimlessly, looking frazzled with full carts, as if they weren’t quite sure what they wanted, other than to drag the shopping trip out as much as possible. The parking lot was a zoo. Apparently, when the power goes out, all the common rules of courtesy in a parking lot are voided. Miraculously my Fit made it out unscathed.
Meijer gas pumps.

The store was filled with rude, stressed out people. “America, the Beautiful” was playing over the speakers.

They didn’t have any battery alarm clocks. I thought about a pint of ice cream, but it wasn’t worth the massive lines. I had to get out of there.

Now I’m listening to the country station again. I hate country music. I’d like to plug in my iPod instead. But I have no Internet access so the radio station is my only source of current news, so I’m bearing with the terrible music. There have been more reports of ice and generators delivered to local stores, they keep announcing the hours and locations for people in need, but no word on any progress. There’s going to be a press conference at 3 p.m. The Advocate did a great job at covering the storm. I stopped in the office today and heard that if they can get the hospital back online it might be a tipping point for the whole city. 

Could it really be a whole week?


Sunday, 7 p.m.: Went to Easton for a reprieve from the heat, a burger, sweet potato fries and some ice cream.

I’m feeling a little better.

At the press conference, local officials said they were working hard, but did not give an indication of when the power might be back on. Their first priorities are the hospitals and the elderly, of course.


Sunday, 9 p.m.: Brandie just texted me. She has power! Time to see what’s salvageable in my freezer and head over to her house.

Part 5 will autopost at 8 a.m. tomorrow. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment