Wednesday, July 4, 2012

JESSICA’S lack-of-power struggle, Saturday morning/afternoon


NOTE: This harrowing tale was originally recorded using the ancient methods of a pencil and paper. It was transcribed Monday night in a format easily readable by others (because no one can read my handwriting) and set to autopost throughout the week.

Translation: Jessica was unable to watch “My Name is Earl” reruns on Netflix after a nasty windstorm knocked out power for several days, so she continued to blog on paper. She watches too many apocalyptic movies, so the second she has access to Netflix you will find her motionless on the couch rewatching “The Stand”, because that’s what she’s been comparing her experiences to all weekend (even though they didn’t have smart phones or iPods). Oh, and also the #Anniesmove episode of Community.


PART 2
Neighbor's house
Saturday, 7:30 a.m.: I wake up, and this isn’t funny anymore.

I survey the damage. Things are scattered about my kitchen, a result of me blindly digging through my cabinets by a weak candlelight to find a snack. Things are knocked over in my living room and bedroom because my windows were open during the storm.

The next door neighbor’s house’s power line is down, crushed by a tree. The tree across the street has fallen into the road. I’ll operate to the soundtrack of chainsaws today because of all this.

I don’t have a clue what time it is until I get my phone back to my car for more charge. Every clock I have is digital.

And then I realize there’s a downside to a diet where nearly everything you eat is a perishable…
Everything you eat is a perishable. 

I have my almond butter, preserves and the gluten free bread I pulled from the freezer. I have a ton of frozen meats and veggies that are probably going to go bad. I think about rushing them up to Cleveland, but they’re probably worth about a tank of gas, plus I need this time to pack for the move to Rochester. I’m going to get some packing done while it’s still cool inside. I may head to Cleveland if the temps spike again. I miss Lizzie, but I’m so glad she’s with my parents.

I really want some eggs, spinach and feta. Dissatisfied, I eat a protein bar. 



Saturday, 2:30 p.m.: Power is still out. It’s comfortable in my apartment but hot as H-E-double-hockey-sticks outside. I really want to know how my buddies are doing, but no access to Facebook. At least I can call and text. Phone is charging in my car. Back to packing up the living room.

Part 3 will autopost at 8 a.m. tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment