Sunday, July 8, 2012

Jessica's lack-of-power struggle, Tuesday


NOTE: This harrowing tale was originally recorded using the ancient methods of a pencil and paper. It was transcribed Monday night in a format easily readable by others (because no one can read my handwriting) and set to autopost throughout the week.

Translation: Jessica was unable to watch “My Name is Earl” reruns on Netflix after a nasty windstorm knocked out power for several days, so she continued to blog on paper. She watches too many apocalyptic movies, so the second she has access to Netflix you will find her motionless on the couch rewatching “The Stand”, because that’s what she’s been comparing her experiences to all weekend (even though they didn’t have smart phones or iPods). Oh, and also the #Anniesmove episode of Community.



TUESDAY 1 p.m.: The lights came back on at the Advocate this morning. We were able to move back upstairs a couple hours ago.

I got my hopes up after I got a text from my landlord, so an hour ago I ran home to check. Still no lights on at home L I’m getting anxious, mostly because many areas of Newark are coming back up but I’m still in the dark. If the lights are still off tonight I’m going to go to Brandie’s to do laundry and take a long, hot shower.
Breakfast was melon and a protein bar. Lunch was almond butter on rice cakes. I really want some real food, something that doesn’t have a bar code or come in a package.


I know, I have to be patient.  Love them or hate them, AEP is working hard.


Tuesday 6 p.m.: I checked an hour ago, and still nothing at my apartment. About to leave work with my fingers crossed that something changed in the past two hours. Another brief storm just rumbled through, I hope that didn’t hinder AEPs efforts!

When your power goes out, the days get much longer (probably because you can’t waste away hours in front of the tv or computer.) Even though it’s only Tuesday, this week has felt long, so I’m glad for a day off tomorrow.

My cell phone is back in working order! I have cell signal everywhere, and weak data. Better than nothing.


Tuesday 11:30 p.m.: 103 hours without power.

AEP got Licking County up to 65% restored. I am the 45%. The company has projected restoration times on their website but they all say the same thing: “July 8, midnight.”

I spent the evening at Brandie’s to do laundry and relax in the air conditioning with her family. Driving home in the dark was scary.

Tomorrow Granville is putting on its Fourth of July celebration. Even though the whole village is still powerless I may head over.

The next part will autopost at 8 a.m. tomorrow. 

West Locust is very quiet and still tonight. I’m sitting outside. It’s peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment