Friday, August 10, 2012

Foodie Friday: I love Wegman's, I miss Trader Joe's, I heart nut butters

I've never been very good at remembering to post something like this weekly. Usually I'm good about it for a few weeks then it fizzles out.

Living in Rochester means shopping at Wegmans, and the place is a palace. There's a whole Gluten Free aisle and so many great food finds!

On the other side of the coin, I'm missing my Trader Joe's :( But it will be here in October so I feel I must educate my new Rochester friends on the glory that can be found there. (But what will they do about their wine selection??)

So, I'm bringing back Foodie Friday with something I love, and then something I miss, for as long as I decide to keep it up :) !!


WHAT I LOVE AT WEGMANS

My parents can attest to this: I hate peanut butter. Hate it hate it hate it hate it. It makes no sense! I like peanuts, I like peanut butter when it's mixed with other things, like soy sauce or chocolate. I like almond butter and cashew butter and sunflower seed butter. But by itself, or with the trusty sidekick jelly: Eww.

I was craving some sunflower seed butter when I went to Wegmans last week (I'll get to that in a minute). After getting a "wait what's that" from the clerk, he spoke into his walkie talkie then directed me to the organics section.

There was a small selection of nut butters that contained this gem: Earth Balance coconut and peanut spread. "81% peanuts with extra virgin coconut oil". Creamy. $5.

To buy or not to buy? I hate peanut butter. I love coconut. I took the plunge.


I was a little afraid of it at first. I brought it to work with some rice cakes to eat instead of my protein bars, which I'm trying to give up. Like clockwork, my tummy started to rumble around 4 p.m. Snack time! I fished out a plastic knife, ripped off the seal and spread it on the rice cake.

Total deliciousness.

I'm not a food writer, but it was just a little bit sweet, a little bit salty, and very filling! It has agave syrup but no added sugar, 190 calories and 6 grams of protein in two tablespoons, vegan, naturally Gluten Free

It doesn't need to be refrigerated, so it's going to live in my desk with my trusty pack of rice cakes.


AND NOW, WHAT I MISS AT TRADER JOE'S

So what kept me from buying the sunflower seed butter at Wegman's?

It was $8!!!!!

At Trader Joe's, you can get a jar of sunflower seed butter for $5.


As much as I enjoy non-peanut butters, sunflower seed butter is the only one I bother to dig in and eat directly from the spoon (or whatever utensil is most handy). Before I give the empty container to Lizzie, I make sure every salvageable bit is gone. So yummy! Very creamy, sweet and salty. And addicting!

So, Wegmans, your peanut and coconut butter will tide me over, but I can't wait for decently priced sunflower seed butter! 


No comments:

Post a Comment