But I'm missing one of the other Greatest Places On Earth, Trader Joe's (and Earth Fare... and Whole Foods...) But alas! My beloved TJ's is coming in October!
So Foodie Friday now serves a dual purpose: Bragging to my Ohio friends about my new grocery chain, and educating my new Rochester friends about the glory that is Trader Joe's :)
Today's edition: Things you can buy in massive quantities
My favorites so far:
- 2 lbs of strawberries for $5 (once I consumed an entire pack in a single day)
- (A lot) of sweet cherries for $7
- A big pack of chicken (that's not inflated with antibiotics) for $2 a pound
- A big pack of 90% lean ground beef for $3 a pound
- 2 lbs of tilapia filets for $10
I'm working on my upteenth club pack of strawberries right now so I was going to compare produce, but the fact is, produce isn't Trader Joe's strong suit. But then, when I started thinking about buying in bulk, I thought of the perfect thing.
Like any good Italian, I go through olive oil like CRAZY. And it's not cheap. But at Trader Joe's you can get an entire liter of cold pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil for $6 (disclaimer: I have not compared the price to Wegman's yet, but you must believe me that this stuff is awesome!!)
As you can see, I'm 1/4 of the way through the bottle. I wonder if the rest will last until October :)