Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I found RAC, and I'm back to teaching!

I have really, really missed teaching Spinning!

I was going to wait until after the election to find some classes. But then I got here, started taking a few, and realized that I wanted to be in charge again (it's the only way to guarantee that I'll like the music, after all!!)

There are a lot of gyms here, and I'd really like to say I did my due diligence and scoped out them all, but as it turned out I found a new fitness home in the second place I went to, Rochester Athletic Club.

I was impressed by RAC for a number of reasons. They came highly recommended when I asked around. There are five clubs, some for women only. Their equipment is modern and in great shape. I like the atmosphere inside the clubs, nobody makes me feel intimidated or stared at like many of the storefront meat markets around.

After a quick audition, I was brought on as a sub. I'll probably just sub until after the election, when my work life will get considerably easier, unless an early morning time slot opens up. Getting hired there allowed me to peek inside the inner-workings of the club, and I was impressed by the professionalism and organization!

So, my first classes are Wednesday and Thursday and I'm stoked! Albiet a little intimidated by the microphone (at the LCFYMCA I got away with just shouting half the time lol!)


All the bikes have computers, so this will be my first go-around teaching based on RPMs. This is a 45-minute playlist, I'll have to add a few songs for the hour classes Thursday!

Free Ride, Edgar Winter Band -- Warmup -- Nice and easy, find your flat


Metro Station - Shake It - Slowly adjust to a climb, illustrate 2 and 3, find your working gear


Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Woman - Climbing for the first two minutes of the song, topping out in the second minute, back to working gear the final minute


Matt & Kim - Good Ol' Fashioned Nightmare - Jumps! Alternate between 8 and 4 counts


Michael Jackson - Black or White - First minute to recover, then ease back into a climb


Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It - Climb gets really intense, going into anaerobic the second minute, then easing off


Glee Cast - Paradise by the Dashboard Light (I'd love to find an original version of this song without the annoying narrative!!) - Climb alternates between easy and hard, back to flat the last 40 seconds


Now it's time to try out a couple games...

Neon Trees - Everybody Talks - Girls race in the first pickup, boys race in the second pickup, everybody races on the third


Modest Mouse - So Much Beauty in Dirt - recovery song, start to find your hill


Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run - seated climb, but students will take turns coming up to standing 3 in a pace line


White Stripes - Hotel Yorba - recovery song, find hill when ready


Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling - Rolling hills, jumps on the downhills


Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl -- cool down




No comments:

Post a Comment