Saturday, December 18, 2010

First MIT run!

Fleet Feet Sports' Marathoner in Training program started today in Columbus! I ran 5 with them and it was a lot of fun.

I got to Worthington at about 7:30 and ran into Bill and Molly, it was nice knowing two of the 400 people there. Jeff, the head honcho of the program gave a brief introduction (I get a season's worth of Gu for signing up early, wahoo!) then we split off into pace groups.

I have no clue whatsoever what my goal time for the Cleveland Marathon is. They said to run a little slower -- usually I do my long runs around 9:30 - 10:00 so I went with the 10:30 group.

We left in waves from Worthington High School and went onto the Metroparks trail system. It was aggravating at first. I felt like I was going at a snail's pace. It was fun at the same time because everyone in the group was really chatty. One person was from my hometown and training for the same race, so that made me happy.

The two and a half miles went really quickly. Different people are on different programs so they turned around at different points.

The way back was slightly more boring because the group had thinned out. The group sped up a bit and some people zoomed off. I think I kept my pace, really not sure, I didn't have my watch.

It was an excellent experience. I'm not going next week, I'll be in Lakewood for Christmas. I think I'll go on New Years Day.

I'm officially on a new training program now, I'm using the one provided by Fleet Feet, but I'm doing one of the days as hill repeats and substituting one day for cross training.

Here's this week's schedule:

Sunday: Off
Monday: 3 miles
Tuesday: 2 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: 3 miles scheduled but will probably sub CT
Friday: Off (I'm switching Thursdays and Fridays, at least for the first few weeks, because Fridays work better as an off day and I like the Thursday spinning class)
Saturday: 6 miles

One last bit for today... I got new shoes! They're the Mizuno Precision. I'll write a blog in a couple days, once I know they'll work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment